Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer- Or Was He?

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 65 years then you have heard about the Black Dahlia Murder. On January 15th, 1947, the body of Elizabeth Short was found literally severed in half and left in a vacant lot near 3825 Norton Ave, Leimert Park (Los Angeles). This murder has become one of the most highly speculated and media covered unsolved cases of all time. The suspects have been many though the case was never technically solved.

I have written two separate articles regarding Elizabeth Short's life and now this will be my third. However, this isn't going to be a history lesson about Beth but instead a chance to defend her name. Many of you may be familiar with books written about Elizabeth's life or death and many may have read the book "Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer," written by Janice Knowlton.

In the book she goes on to state "repressed" memories that she suddenly remembered after so many years in such vivid detail. All the while her father was allegedly having an affair on his wife with Beth Short. Her ridiculous claims that Beth had a miscarriage while living in their garage and even the fact she claimed her father made her take part in the "dumping" of Short's body. Saying that they tried to dump her in the ocean but her body wouldn't sink. It got worse when she claimed that Beth Short was a whore, prostitute and child pimp who abused children and molested her.

I can understand she believed this was true, but it is so obvious that she wasn't in a good place mentally so how credible really was her "memories"? There are plenty of people with mental disorders who claims some of the strangest and ludicrous admissions that are completely untrue and impossible, but inside their minds they believe it to be true. Now it is possible she was just lying to get attention but I think she was just a sick woman who needed help.

Why did she go on a online chat and state that her father George Knowlton killed Elizabeth Short and a man named "Disney" made sure that the murder was covered up? Those are some pretty hefty allegations to be making without proof. Also, if she thought so poorly of Disney why did she work for Disney all those years as a singer and in the Horse Shoe Review at Disneyland and later as a Secretary for Disneyland, too?

Her chat message literally states: 
"My name is Janice Knowlton and my father, George Knowlton, murdered the woman known as the Black Dahlia; Cops, movie producers, a man named "Disney" and others made sure that he was never identified, but the proof is in a book I wrote with noted true crime author, Michael Newton, Pocket Books, Simon & Schuster. While I was investigating to prove my memories I received a threatening letter from a man named John Gilmore, which I did not respond to."-c/o The Black Dahlia Website (Pamela Hazelton) **Click here to read entire chat conversation and information.

I think it is quite terrible that this woman defamed not only Elizabeth Short, but also her father who had no way of defending his character because he was dead and also Walt Disney, who is also dead. I find that slanderous and defamatory and I could hardly believe that she would say such a thing.

According to my research Janice Knowlton's own step-sister Jolane Emerson stated for the papers that she believed that Janice's book was all fake. Jolane told the Los Angeles Times, "Her book was trash, and it wasn't even true." She also added, "She believed it, but it wasn't reality. I know, because I lived with her father for 16 years."  She went on to say that her step-father, "could be meaner and ornerier than heck, but he wasn't a killer."-- Los Angeles Times Article

 In my opinion, the book "Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer" is a fictional tale, made real inside the mind of Janice Knowlton. Perhaps she believed it was true, however I find it highly unbelievable and quite absurd.

In the end, this article isn't to make fun of Janice, quite the contrary. I actually feel badly for her. She must have had some serious mental issues to come up with such stories. I wonder if she had ever been hypnotized, as I know that the power of suggesting trauma happening to a person actually can make you believe things that never happened at all. I know this because someone I know went to a hypnotist and came back with all sorts of creepy memories of abuse as a child when in fact it was impossible that those things could have happened to her. When your mind is under someone else's control, that is a very dangerous thing.
 
Again, maybe Janice had some other chemical imbalance or mental illness and she just "conjured" these false memories up but her allegations were in fact very disturbing and seemed to be without credibility in regards to the evidence of Elizabeth's cold case. I don't want to say bad things about Janice, in fact I hope in her final days that she found some peace, although several articles mention she may have committed suicide from depression. Who knows!? Either way, Janice Knowlton passed away on March 5th, 2004 at the age of 67, be it an accidental overdose or intentional overdose.

Whatever the case, I still find that those accusations made in the book about Elizabeth Short were terrible and defamatory. I wonder why Beth's family never sued Knowlton for dragging Beth's memory and character through the mud. Maybe Beth Short didn't live by the same moral code as most people, and maybe she did. We will never truly know that for sure, but accusing her of such heinous crimes as molesting, abusing and pimping children was just downright wrong.  ---

 (Copyright) 2012- Dreaming Casually by J'aime Rubio

For More Info On the Black Dahlia Click Below:

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO ELIZABETH SHORT? 

The Connection Between The Black Dahlia Murder and the Infamous Torso Murders of Cleveland

2 comments:

  1. I had some contact with Ms Knowlton concerning the Dahlia case (I had pointed out some insurmountable contradictions between her claim eyewitness accounts and her supposed autopsy report) and can tell you that she had very serious mental issue and was a deeply unhappy person. At one point she even accused me of being part of the cover-up--when I pointed out to her that the murder had occurred several decades before I was born, she was very contrite, but dealing with her was always an exasperating experience. She also accused Roy Rogers of molesting her, and drove the administrators of the Roy Rogers fan forum to distraction with constant rambling posts on their website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Magpie, I am so sorry for the late reply. I had not seen this earlier. I agree, Ms Knowlton had issues and seemed quite miserable. Most of her accusations, like you said, had no credibility based on the time table alone.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.